Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Fun

Ah, it is that time of year, when we say goodbye to one year and welcome a new one.  Memories, so many memories.  So a few of the highlights from the past year:

Grew an excellent garden (so relaxing, and so worth it)
Took the GRE and applied for a graduate program
Got into the Graduate program in Public Health
Survived my first semester :)
Had a great time with my roommate Nadia
Had fun adventures at the Huntington Beach Midsingles Conference with Nadia, Marie, Laura, and April
Started my blog
Actually wrote a couple of entries in the journal.  that's huge, one of my weakest talents is journal writing :(
Planted three fruit trees in the back yard. Yum
Got help in removing more stumps, and working on landscaping
Hosted a general conference party with waffle breakfast for family and friends (so much fun)
Went sailing, including a stint as a pirate, pictures to follow soon
Got to take family pictures with all my siblings......it has been a long while since the last family photo shoot
Hosted a family and friend BBQ get together, and was surprised with visits from cousins from out of state and out of town, (so glad they could come)
I enjoyed being part of a family home evening group and the many fun activities we had, and will continue to have
And the list would go on and on and on. 

My hopes for the upcoming year:
Continue to study hard and get good grades in my graduate program. 
Find time to be social between homework and regular work (could be challenging)
Plant another garden
practice piano some more in my spare time :)
Find time to sail at least twice
Spend some quality time with my family and nephews

In order to ring in the new year I went out to my friends house where we finished packing up the car with treats, buckled the boys in, and then the three of us adults and two kids were off to a New Years party.  We rang in the new year with a tournament of Settler's of Catan.  Normally, I'm pretty competitive, but I've never tried to play with a nephew as distraction before.  It was an interesting game as my nephew stacked the little roads and settlements into different structures.  After we rang New Years in with fireworks and noisemakers, we finished the tournament, I came in near the bottom of the bracket somewhere.  Then it was time to hop to another party where there were more games, but the evening ended with some classical and jazz piano pieces.  So enjoyable.  I was regretting my choice to stay up so late when I had to be up for church at the new time of 9AM.  My new primary class was lots of fun.  The kids were smiling and very excited to be in class.  Then it was time to head over to Sheila's where there were smores, snacks, good food, and some magnum PI.  It was a good evening to catch up with some friends I hadn't had much time to see during the school semester.

Then today the new year continued on.  I picked up a good friend in Davis and we headed out to the Woodland Stake Temple day and we did some sealings.  It was a great morning.  Then we visited a little Indian restaurant when we headed back to Davis.  It was so very yummy.  I also got to visit with my Aunt, Uncle, and some cousins.  Love visiting with family.  :) 2012 will be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment