Sunday, January 22, 2012

Back to school

Classes started up again this week.  I guess they didn't quite ever finish from last term since we were given a paper to write to turn in the first day of this term.  I finished my paper, after working through some writer's block.  Then it was time to go to class.  They switched things up a little this term, our class for community assessment got switched to Friday instead of Saturday.  It was so much fun to see all of my classmates again.  We really have grown into quite a tight nit group.  We had lots of good discussion about community assessment and we even had an impromptu role-play situation.  I got elected to be one of the community members the public health officials were coming into town to talk to about obesity.  My role was to play a little devil's advocate and be a little less than welcoming.  My classmates did their best to try and bridge the gap in their assignment and my hesitation.  It was a great lesson learned, that we as public health officials can't just enter a community expecting to fulfill whatever agenda is on our plate.  There is so much more involved.  It will take collaboration with other community agencies, and getting the input and cooperation of them residents of the community as well.  It was one of the best exercises we've had yet. After class and few of my classmates and I went out to Dinner.  We braved the rain and crazy strong wind and walked downtown to House.  It is an excellent restaurant.  We chatted, and enjoyed great food.  Then we braved the weather again to walk back to our cars.  I drove home and called my good friend Joseph.  We chatted a while, then it was time for an early night so off to bed I went.  Saturday came and I wasn't quite sure what to expect for biostatistics.  Let's just say that I'll be spending a lot of time hitting the books and researching articles this semester.  We have a lot of assignments and only four months of the term.  I fear the updates and posts to the blog may suffer a bit.  I will do my best to continue posting throughout the term.  I have enjoyed posting things again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment