Sunday, May 20, 2012

Solar eclipse

I was so excited when my friend told me yesterday that there would be a solar eclipse today.  I came home from church, took a nap, woke up  went to choir, and then came home and waited.  At 5:15 pm I logged onto a website that was streaming live video of the eclipse.  It was pretty cool.  As I listened to the broadcast I and heard them mention pinhole viewers, my mind quickly thought about the cereal box I just put in the recycle bin.  I went and retrieved the cereal box, taped the lid closed, cut the two ends out, and covered one end with tinfoil and put a pinhole in it. 

After making my new toy, I took it next door to show my neighbors.  They actually were in the process of making one of their own.  It was pretty cool.  They invited me to stay for dinner.  Then we all enjoyed watching the eclipse through the viewers, and seeing all the superb eclipse looking shadows on walls, the shed, the house, etc. 





Then it was time to try and take pictures of the eclipse using the viewer, and of course turning the camera to the sun ;)
 So the camera didn't catch it

 This is the view inside the cereal box
 These next two are using a big box and projecting the image onto a large sheet of white paper. 



My neighbor and I tried to get her son to come and see what it was all about.  We got one photo of the crescent on his shirt, and then he decided it was more fun to play in the box than look at the image of the eclipse.


Of course I couldn't end the blog without a photo of me using my pinhole viewer.  Don't I look very scientific ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment