Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Flowers and siblings

Today during lunch I stopped at Walmart to see what I could find to cover up the large stone block I discovered in the front yard.  There were so many beautiful flowers and other plants around it was hard to decide what would look best.  I finally decided on Lily's.  They are so pretty, I got yellow, red, and one orange plant which I planned on putting together in one planter.  My coworkers agreed that the flowers were very nice.  Work finally came to an end and I was excited to get home and see what I could do with the flowers I'd gotten. 

As I was thinking of getting started my brother and sister stopped by in answer to my plea for some help that required a truck.  My goal this summer is to grow many of my plants vertically (the squash, melons, and cucumbers).   With that in mind I figured the fastest way to be able to help the plants grow skyward would be to get some trellis for them to climb.  Unfortunately the trellis I wanted would not fit in my civic no matter how I measured things.  Jessica and Salvador came over with mom's truck and we took a quick trip to Home Depot.  Three 4X4 trellises and a quick stop for some food to cook for dinner and we were home.  While Salvador fixed the food, I put the trellises in place, and began mixing ingredients for potting.  I wasn't sure if the 7 Lily plants I'd gotten would all fit in the pot, but I was determined to make it work.  I really like the way that things turned out.  Red and yellow Lily's around the perimeter of the pot and one orange Lily in the middle.  I'm pretty excited, and it looks soooooooooooo much better than leaving the big cement block bare. 

I came in and washed up, helped saute some veggies, and we all sat down to a yummy home cooked meal.  Salvador did a great job seasoning the steak.  Sometimes I wonder if he shouldn't take up the culinary arts. We watched a little of Tangled while we ate, and after we were finished I started to bring in the pieces for the composter I purchased this weekend.  The instructions said more than one adult, and I was lucky enough to have two other people besides me.  I figured we could get it put together in a jiffy.  We got a few pieces together and I checked the instructions for the next step which said.....drill needed..   Note to self....it is important to read all the instructions before beginning a project.  I hadn't charged the battery pack for the drill, and there was no juice left.  I tried to see if it would work even a little bit, and as I pressed the button the drill made a mournful whirring sound and barely made an 1/8 th of a turn before coming to a complete stop.  So disappointing, but a good lesson regarding preparedness was learned. I thanked my brother and sister for their help and for the visit.  I love spending time with family.  The older I get the more I do appreciate it. 

I'll be sure to post some photos of the completed Lily project when it is lighter outside, so check back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment